I'm a game designer and generalist programmer in Portland, OR. My primary focus in game design centers around procedural content generation, interactive storytelling, and tool building.
Developer, Tools Team October 2015 - Present
I have transitioned to working on infrastructure and internal tools and I am currently refitting our webapp development environment to be provisioned inside a virtual machine using Vagrant.
Front-end Developer, Games Team May 2014 - October 2015
I was the first developer hire for BuzzFeed's (now defunct) Games Team (BuzzFeed has games?). My achievements in this position include:
- Designing and developing public-facing games and interactive formats
- Building internal-facing game creation tools for BuzzFeed writers to make games on their own
- Spearheading the integration of Twine with our website allowing writers to create choose-your-own-adventure games
- Creating and maintaining the Games Team's build and deploy tools
Brooklyn Game Ensemble
Game Developer September 2012 - Present
I'm developing an adventure game based on the Jorge Luis Borges short story "The Library of Babel" with Joshua DeBonis, Naomi Clark, Eric Zimmerman, and Irwin Chen. Our process was featured in Polygon! (see below)
We develop primarily in Unity. Some features of our game that I have developed include:
- Procedural map generation with support for custom set pieces
- A domain specific language for our skill/spell system that makes it easy for our designers to quickly add new skills to the game
- Many iterations of our game UI, focused on spelling words and forming gramatically correct sentences
The Blog: http://brooklyngamensemble.com
Polygon Article: Iteration Fetishism: Making an Infinite Library
Software Engineer + Development Manager June 2010 - May 2014
I lead and helped supervise the daily development activities of the 30-plus engineering team at Paperless Post. My responsibilities included:
- Developing features in all of our web services and applications
- Supporting development by improving or creating internal tools and making changes to our Chef infrastructure
- Mentoring and advocating for our developers
- Working with the CTO to identify and solve communication and interpersonal problems
Independent Game Development
I design and build games, attend conferences, and generally participate in the games community in my free time. I'm currently working on a science fiction-themed procedural strategy game and also researching interactive storytelling methods. I've also delivered talks on independent game development and working creatively.
- "Working creatively without losing your mind": slides and text of talk
- "Breaking into independent games": slides and text of talk
Thrive + LendingTree
Software Engineer August 2009 - April 2010
I worked for the personal financial management webapp Thrive. I owned most of the front-end and interactive features.
We used JBoss with Richfaces for the server, and on the front-end I worked with jQuery and ActionScript.
Wikipedia entry: Thrive
Software Engineer December 2008 - July 2009
Software Engineer February 2008 - October 2008
Georgia Institute of Technology
B.S. Computational Media August 2003 - December 2007